The Sisters

The Sisters

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Libbi: Roller Coaster heart trip.....(wow for sure worst name I´ve come up with so far)

So...this week was a roller coaster heart trip. haha We hit opposition at every turn, or at least it felt like it. I am still getting to know the area hear in Jardim Ima but I love it here. We had our highs and lows but I had an experience this week that was way new and heavied my heart...
 First the highs, I had a special training with our president where he re-capped all the trainings we have had with him in the last 3 years he has been here as president. He finishes his mission june 6th. I will miss him greatly. I have learned a lot with  President Oliveira. We pushed hard but with opposition in sickness and trial we push on..
 We have been teaching a young man named Venicios and wanted him to be baptized this week. We talked to him and his mom during the middle of the week and to our surprise he had already talked to his dad about being baptized. I was way impressed. He said..and his mom too, that it was just his Dad that wouldn´t give him permission to be baptized because it was way soon and he needed to keep learning about the church. I was feeling that all would go right once we talked it over with his Dad. So we planned to teach the whole family Saturday night, meet his Dad, and have the baptismal interview too. We first had the baptismal interview of Jerson who we have been teaching and working with to quit smoking and drinking. He progressed a lot this week but is still working on desire to keep the commandments so his baptism was put of till this upcoming sat. But, after the Jerson´s interview we walked with our district leader and comp to Venicos´ house. We arrived on his street and there were tons of people and police cars. I thought that maybe his neighbors had a fight or something but then I saw a car that had veered off the road on the side. We passed the confusion and began to clap in front of Venicos´ house...The neighbor came over to us and began to explain that there was a drunk driver that lost control of the car and flew off the road. (on the side of the road there is a boardwalk type of thing to ride bikes and run) Venicios and his family started to ride bikes...they crossed the avenue and were just about to start going when this car hit him and his dad and they were thrown into the grass on either side of the car. Venicios went to the hospital unconscious and his father with an extremely lacerated leg and torso.
 I found out at church yesterday that Venicios is in a coma and his father passed away from internal bleeding on the way to the hospital. Needless to say it is a tragedy. I wept as I thought of his mother, who just has Venicios as a child and has now lost her husband. I feel the weight and sting of death for almost complete strangers. I can only imagine the sorrow of our Heavenly Father. The man who decided to drink and drive changed the lives of many and destroyed his own.
  I bore my testimony about the plan our Heavenly Father has for us and I felt a great love from my Heavenly Father.
 I´m so grateful that I know this life isn´t the end. That we can be with our families forever. I love that and I love you all. Keep choosing what´s right and being a good example to everyone around. You are the faithful and the true...I love you!
 com amor,
Sister Sorensen

PS: hey...just to let you know...I found out from the woman in the Internet cafe that Venicios died this morning...I just wanted you guys to know the end of the story...it really breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment