The Sisters

The Sisters

Friday, October 5, 2012

Libbi: Something´s in the air...

oh family...here we are again...so good to be with you! hahahaha in spirit....

well the transfer started with a BANG with a capital B!!!! BAPTISM!!!!!!! it was like we baptized two people this week because not only was Diônatam (official spelling of his name just took 3 or 4 weeks to learn) baptized but his friend Diane also was baptized yesterday, she lives in the boundaries of the other ward so the Elders were teaching her but we also participating in a few of the lessons and helped her while she was getting to know the church these past few weeks. Wow what a wonderful way to start a transfer! We were BLESSED THIS WEEK!!!! When I really think about all that happened it was a wonderfully productive week in the service of the Lord (thank you all for your prayers they were truly felt this week)...
OK so transfers came and went...our house is a little more empty but we are adjusting to living alone (just my comp and I). We also have a HUGE area and so there is TONS of work to be done. We started out this week saying goodbye to our roommates...Sister Morais went to the other side of town and Sister Aires went to Cuiabá and is literally baking as we speak hahaha. Alright, after Monday we began to work, Tuesday we began the adjusting (physical and spiritual) to get to know our WHOLE area....we walked a lot...but continued to find people to teach. This week we met up with Marta who was a reference and had a wonderful 1st lesson with her...she was a little closed off to begin with but with a little bit of small talk she opened right up...unfortunately she couldn't come to church this week but we are hoping she will next week....hahaha oh I forgot to mention that they are giving a piece of our area to the Elders because they are changing the boundaries of the ward...oh so Marta will now be their investigator haha along with a bunch of others. That´s great because we will work that much harder to find more people to teach. I feel excited and ready for the challenge. Anyway, Lurdes is another woman that I explained a little bit about last week, we met up with her 2 more times this week but we were sad when she didn´t come to church. She is a great person but we will also be passing her over to the Elders.
We had a way neat experience with Diônatam and Diane this week teaching with the Elders. Sometimes I feel like I just arrived on the mission when I watch other missionaries teach because I realize how much I have to learn and recognize how the Spirit works with every person differently. We were teaching about Joseph Smith because Diane was trying to understand better. She already had a testimony of the book of Mormon but she was trying to understand more about the history of the restoration. We watched the video of the 1st vision and then we began to bear testimony...everyone was feeling good but they both (Diane and Diônatam) had decided that it was all really early to be baptized. But as we began to testify and talk about the courage to act when we receive an answer.....Diane shared that she received an answer that week and Diônatam also shared that everything he read in the Book of Mormon talked about baptism....in a nice way I said...so have you picked up on the hint then?!!?! haha Elder Severo with all his wisdom was able to discern that Diane was ready to be baptized and that Diônatam was holding himself and in the process her also from being baptized (they decided they wanted to be baptized together) He (Elder Severo) shared his experience of conversion that was extremely powerful but expressed how he felt really frustrated because he still had to wait 2 years because his mom wouldn´t let him be baptized....he testified with power that we can´t interfere with the personal progress of others and true friends need to help one another be the best they can be. After that....it was easy! we marked both their baptisms for Sunday and I thanked Heavenly Father for the many blessings I receive and what I have been taught through so many other people!
Then we had our Mission Tour with Pres. Costa this week also on Thursday. Wow, it was wonderful, I felt a little spiritually exhausted by the end but I loved what I heard and went away with a bunch of ideas and plans to be better these next 3 months and for like the rest of my life too right? haha It is a strange feeling to have so many new people here on our mission and so many of my friends that already went home that I felt like I was new too because I didn´t know very many missionaries in our conference...that´s when you know you are getting old on the mission....
We pushed to the end of the week and had our next miracle that was Luis. He is married to a member who recently returned to the church (Angela) and he has been going to church with her now for the last 4 months....almost the whole time I have been here in this área. Anyway, we had already tried to teach him another time but it seemed like he was just going to church to support Angela and didn´t really have many firm belief in the church. Actually, he had already had a bunch of bad experiences with members of the Church...but we taught the 1st lesson and asked him to pray about baptism and left it at that because he didn´t want more commitment. But then we ate lunch with Angela this week and she told us that Luis is really excited about the church and wants to get baptized. I was shocked but said we would pass by the next day to talk to him. Sure enough, he was there with a changed heart and an open mind. Wow, it was way cool to see him almost cry as we explained about family and the plan of salvation. He is excited and wants to be baptized!!! He will be taking a trip this month but we are visiting him tomorrow and we are going to mark is baptismal date. Wow, talk about change...that is only possible through prayer and desire to know!
every little detail counts! Every little lesson has an effect. Share your testimony because you don´t choose the consequences....but let the Spirit work with the heart of others. I love this work! I love the Lord! He has blessed me so much and continues every min. I know He loves me and cares for me and through this work has helped me to learn SO MUCH! I love you all....be good, be examples, share your testimony everyday, share what makes you happy in life and what REALLY matter in this life! It will always invite the Spirit and you will be strengthened also! DO IT! I love you for it and for everything else you all do! Thanks for being my examples and my strength! CTR
com amor,
Sister Sorensen

We are all smiles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment